There are two types of companies in this country, those who know they've been hacked, and those who don't know they've been hacked
Last year, US Congressman Mike Rogers, Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence made the following assertion:
"There are two types of companies in this country, those who know they've been hacked, and those who don't know they've been hacked."
Most business people recognize the importance of cyber security. However, they do not know how to take action. So, they either ignore it or leave it up to their IT team; either of which could be a big mistake. While some IT teams take security seriously, others do not. So, it is good to work with your team to understand what they are doing and make it clear that security is a priority.
Cyber security is as much about good habits as it is about having the right hardware and software in place.
Here are five steps any company can take to increase their security:
- Ensure you have a proper firewall setup to make it much harder for hackers to get to your computers and servers in the first place.
- Use strong passwords for servers and the network. In addition, teach employees what a strong password is and why they should always use one.
- Update your software programs and operating systems regularly to protect against known security vulnerabilities.
- Install antivirus software and update it frequently.
- Secure your laptops with encryption, so that the information on the hard drive can only be accessed with the correct password. This provides two levels of protection: it secures the data on your laptop and it prevents a hacker from gaining access to your network from a stolen laptop.
By taking some simple steps and developing good habits, you can dramatically decrease your cyber security risks.
About Skyriver IT
Skyriver IT delivers frustration-free IT. We provide small and midsize companies with the information they need to make better IT and business decisions. If you would like to discuss how we can help make your IT frustration free to call (858) 812-9322 or visit SkyriverIT.com