As you start planning for success in 2013, be sure to include IT in your plans. When
IT is part of your business planning, you can leverage it to gain efficiencies and
make sure the proper infrastructure is in place for growing your business. The
challenge is that most IT professionals have not been taught to align IT with
To align your IT team with your business goals, you need to ask yourself and your IT
team few questions:
* What are our major business goals for 2013?
* What are the potential barriers to success?
* How can we use IT to help us meet our goals?
* What constraints do we currently have and how can they be addressed?
* What else can our IT team do to help?
Having studied the industry, it is clear to me that IT professionals are not taught
to align IT with the goals of the business. So unless you are working with an
enlightened IT team, it is your responsibility to bring your IT manager into
discussions about business goals and make sure they work with you to identify how IT
can help achieve your business goals. And that will greatly increase your potential
for success in 2013.
Using CIO Services
One other option is to use CIO services. At large companies, it is the Job of the
Chief Information Officer (CIO) to act as an interpreter between IT and senior
management. The CIO helps to translate the business strategy into IT infrastructure
needs. However, small and mid-sized businesses cannot afford a full-time CIO. That
is why CIO services can be beneficial for many businesses who only need a CIO for
several hours a month, at most.
With CIO Services, you can:
* Feel confident about which IT investments support your business goals
* Make better IT choices around which technologies will work for your business
(e.g. Salesforce.com vs. SugarCRM)
* Understand the total cost of a technology investment
* Get your IT staff to support your business goals
Whether you choose to use CIO services or make IT decisions in-house, just be sure
that your IT plans support your business goals for 2013 and beyond.
About Skyriver IT
Our goal at Skyriver IT is to deliver frustration-free IT. We provide small and
midsize companies with the information needed to make better IT and business
decisions. If you would like to discuss how we can help make your IT frustration
free, please feel free to call (858) 812-9322 or visit www.SkyriverIT.com